We only share products that get rave reviews from women over 40.
Anything less, doesn't belong in Beauty Bloomers.
The next time you see a a grown-up girl with beautiful, luminous, smooth skin . . .
you can bet she probably uses retinoids.
Retinoids (retina-a / vitamin-a derivatives) have decades of research and results proving they can turn around aging skin. They do everything from smoothing fine lines to making pores look smaller. But the downside is irritation and flaky skin causing many women to give too soon and say it didn't work for them. You need to commit to at least six months before seeing real results. But retinoids really do work and remain the number one doctor's choice for turning back the clock. And if you start young, before the damage is done, you won't ever have to "turn back the clock".
- Apply at night about 20-30 minutes after brushing your teeth and cleansing your face. Damp skin increases risk of sensitivity. If you're in a hurry, use a blow dryer (cool setting) to speed the process.
- Dab a pea-size amount onto face, avoiding sensitive areas such as lips and eyelids and corners of eyes and mouth. 20 minutes later, apply a moisturizer.
- Always wear a sunscreen! Retin-A makes your skin much more sensitive to the sun.
- Start slowly. For the first 2 weeks, apply every third night. Then every other night for the next 2 weeks. After that you should be ready for daily use, however if your skin is very sensitive, you may have to move at a slower pace. But remember, you will be sloughing off dead skin cells, so no matter what, there will be irritation, possible redness and of course, flaky skin. But hang in there! It will be worth it! To maintain the results, you will have to continue using retin-a for life. Just think of it as part of your daily routine.
Minimizing Retin-A Flaky Skin:
- Gently scrub your face in the a.m. with warm water and Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser
- For more intense flaking, we recommend using a Buf-Puf Gentle Facial Sponge or the Clarisonic Skincare System.
You might want to start with a mild "over the counter" retinol and work your way up to a stronger Rx formula. These products contain a much milder form of vitamin-a called retinol. Look for a product with at least 0.1% retinol. An OTC product will help acclimate your skin for moving on to the stronger retinoids. Don't expect big results though- those will only come with a prescription strength retinoid. And avoid the more expensive O.T.C. products. If you're willing to pay more, then see your dermatologist and get a retinoid! Don't waste your money on expensive, false promises.
CosMedix Serum 16
Containing 16% LG-Retinex—a proprietary GAG-enhanced encapsulation of retinol andretinaldehyde—Serum 16 is the closest thing to prescription-strength age defiance without a prescription. In a six-week clinical study, this breakthrough superserum by CosMedix visibly reduced the appearance of sun damage, age spots and deep lines, including crow’s feet.
RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Serum
This light, silky fluid glides on easily and absorbs quickly, leaving your skin feeling smooth and velvety. The formula's patented technology combines pure RoC Retinol with magnesium, zinc, and copper to stimulate the skin's renewal process and bring newer, younger-looking skin to the surface.
Glycolic Acid is the most effective anti-aging skin care ingredient you can use without a prescription. Here's what glycolic acid can do for your skin:
- Exfoliate away any rough skin, and brighten your complexion.
- Help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by stimulating your skin cells to make new collagen inside your skin where it matters and where it can plump up wrinkles.
- Help lighten and even uneven skin pigmentation and hyperpigmentation from melasma or age spots because at this strength it's a very effective skin whitening cream.
- Give you more youthful, moist and supple skin texture by stimulating your skin cells to make more hyaluronic acid inside your skin; hyaluronic acid helps hold water inside your skin so that it doesn't look dehydrated. Healthy young skin has more hyaluronic acid than older, thin, dry and dehydrated skin
A Highly Effective Glycolic Acid
Facial Rejuvenation Routine
Glytone Mild Gel Wash
Highly effective cleanser formulated with free glycolic acid to gently, yet thoroughly, rid skin of impurities. 4.7% glycolic acid. Use with a Buf-Puf Reusable Facial Sponge, Extra Gentle
Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Anti-Wrinkle Creme
10% AHA. Concentrated pure glycolic acid (one of the most effective alpha hydroxy acids on the market) leaves skin visibly firmer, smoother, and more refined with a simple, once-a-day application of this treatment lotion. For added moisturizing benefits, pure vitamin E--long known to beautifully rehydrate skin--is also a key ingredient.
Do not move to step three until you have become very comfortable with 10%.
NeoStrata Face Cream Plus AHA 15
This extra-strength, emollient and exfoliating cream targets correction of the visible signs of photoaging and normalization of dry, rough skin. Intended for experienced AHA users with normal to dry non-sensitive skin. Fragrance-Free. Formulated with 15% Glycolic acid.